Monday, October 12, 2009

Mel Ziegler

We were graced today with a visit by Mel Ziegler- great artist and wonderful person.
I was lucky to have a meeting with him, and he pointed out some new and insightful thoughts about my work. Whenever I end up getting too arty/object-y, the work often comes back around towards me, rather than being about the subject. When the work is more action based, it can focus on its intended significance. Sometimes the simplicity of the action and perhaps a little gift are all it needs. Unfortunately I do love to make stuff sometimes... We also discussed what kind of impact was satisfying to us as artists - does one need to reach the masses or make a big impact on a few people? The second is a lot more realistic I suppose. Thanks Mel!

No comments:

Post a Comment